About the Position
At The Appraisal Lane, Visual Designers craft experiences that include comprehensive thought, care, metrics, and research. Using iconography, typography, color, space and texture together to help our users successfully navigate our products. As a Visual Designer, you’ll be at the center of creating designs that inspire, engage and excite users. You’ll help iterate on a user-centered process and implement principles to produce high-quality visuals across many platforms; native iOS, Android, and web applications. You’ll collaborate with your fellow designers to constantly refine our design system and create innovative, great-looking products that people love to use.
Our team is interested in our users and are currently working to learn everything we can about their behaviors, attitudes and emotions to help define the products and experiences. Visual Designers play an integral part in gathering these insights and then using them to inspire and inform design. Our Visual Designers are discussing interactions, visual design, research, and collaborating closely with Marketing, Product, and Engineering.
- Bachelor's degree in Design, Human-Computer Interaction, or a related field or equivalent practical experience.
- 5 years of experience in a related position(s).
- Experience implementing visual design systems across different platforms in an iterative development environment.
- Experience working on a user-centric team
- Experience in industry standard design tools (e.g., Adobe Creative Suite, Sketch, Studio).
- Knowledge of technical constraints and limitations as they apply to designing for platforms such as desktop and mobile.
- Ability to act as a leader in communicating conceptual ideas and design rationale, all within a user-centered design process.
- Ability to take initiative, prioritize, manage workloads and meet project deadlines.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and problem-solving skills.
- In addition to your resume, please include either URLs directly to projects, a design community portfolio page, or a custom portfolio website. Submissions without these attached will not be considered.
After 1 Month
- Observe our process
- Attend process retrospectives and give insights
- Participe in current initiatives and get familiar with the product
- Get to know teammates
- Use our applications and provide feedback
After 2 Months
- Take the lead on a design task or initiative
- Present your ideas to those working on initiatives with you
- Be a key contributor on design retrospectives
- Help improve the overall experience of our product through research and design.
- Work alongside UX Researchers, Product Managers, and Engineers to iterate on new features
- Communicate your design thinking and ideas through wireframes, prototypes, user flows, mockups, and hi-fidelity visual designs.
- Engage with our user base and the wider community to understand their pain points and work toward long-term fixes that enable them to succeed with their goals.
- Undertake usability testing to validate your thinking.
- Share findings from research and testing with the wider team, ensuring recommendations are communicated effectively across our organization.
- Contribute to our Design System, alongside the rest of the UX team and the GitLab community as a whole.
Who We Are
At The Appraisal Lane (TAL), we’re innovating the used vehicle valuation process. A used vehicle is worth what someone is willing to pay for it, so valuing a vehicle on-the-spot is a real challenge that translates to missed valuations and opportunities for car dealers, and sometimes poor experiences for consumers trading in their vehicles. Traditional valuation services offer dealers and consumers ranges and estimates on vehicles based solely on market data and transactions. Often a vehicles history and condition are averaged in leaving a void the buyer needs to fill.
The Appraisal Lane has set out to help dealers and consumers by introducing a transparent process with all parties best interest in mind. Submitters collect an appraisals information VIA an app and submit the information to our team of live appraisers. Appraisers work each appraisal virtually—reviewing the data submitted by the individual requesting the appraisal, market data, assess the vehicles history and condition while communicating any questions to the submitter. As a result, we are able to provide a cash value in under 15 minutes.
Voted the 4th fastest growing technology company and the 3rd best startup in Austin by the Austin Business Journal, it’s no surprise that our company has experienced rapid growth. As a result, we are hiring visionaries who can drive new product development and contribute pioneering ideas to our team. TAL values its collaborative community and strives to provide a tight-knit, “work family” environment.
- Competitive salary and stock options
- Medical, dental and vision covered 100% for employee
- Generous holiday and PTO package
- Free covered parking
- Fully stocked kitchen
- Access to breakfast and lunch food trucks year-round
- On-site gym access
This is a full-time position at our corporate office located near 2222/360 in Austin, Texas.Posted 23 days ago Apply Now