(Senior) Visual UI Designer (m/f/x)
Who we are
BCG Digital Ventures is building a new venture together with one of the world’s largest aerospace companies. UP42 is a state of the art geospatial data marketplace that, for the first time, brings together a large number of previously disparate data sources like high-resolution satellites, drones, IoT, and many more. UP42 enables geospatial service providers to develop and offer industry-specific solutions for their clients. Our corporate partner’s strategic and financial assets give us a significant launch pad as well as a lasting unfair advantage.
We’re looking for a Visual UI designer with a strong focus on creating functional, yet beautiful user interfaces, to join our friendly and supportive team in Berlin.
From fleshing out ideas with interactive prototypes to guiding the design language across our product, you will help translate the needs of our customers into compelling experiences.
You’re someone with a fundamental grasp of both visual aesthetics and designing complex interfaces. You’ll partner with our Senior UX Designer to distill customer insights into new features, and team up with engineers to bring them to life. Details are important as you iterate on complex interactions and workflows.
We want to build a diverse team from different backgrounds, experiences, and identities. That means we’re committed to the ongoing responsibility of making UP42 an inclusive and supportive place to do your best work. As the second member of our design team, you’ll play a meaningful role in setting that direction.
About the role
Design is an important function at UP42. As such, you’re more than someone who makes things look pretty. You understand the complexities of designing for the web and the technologies that power it.
This means the job isn’t just about building prototypes and pushing pixels. You will build close relationships as you communicate and collaborate with colleagues from conception through to implementation.
Some examples of projects you might work on are:
- Building prototypes using any combination of animation tools, design tools, or even code, to test our assumptions and design decisions.
- Working closely with a cross-functional team to design and implement features that help developers build geospatial workflows.
- Design and document patterns for our design system that serves as the component library and style guide for how we do design at UP42.
- Collaborate with the marketing team to produce campaign visuals and collateral from time to time.
- Help craft design practice and methodology within the team.
Those are some big challenges, so you probably won’t be an authority in all of these areas. But that’s fine because you’ll be surrounded by a supportive team who will guide you along the way.
You have around 5 years of experience in designing digital products and a portfolio of work that is not only beautiful, but backed by a strong design process. We’re a young company, so you’ll need to be comfortable balancing multiple projects with focused execution.
You’re a ‘T’ shaped designer who is a specialist in visual communication and UI design. As part of your broader skill set, we would love for you to have a user-centred approach and a knowledge of user research methods, usability, and accessibility.
Do you identify with any of these qualities?
- You love to generate, visualize, and communicate your ideas through sketching, mind mapping, and other graphic recording techniques.
- In addition to crafting beautiful interfaces, you’re able to explain all the elements on the screen and reason about why they’re there.
- You have an understanding of interaction design and animation techniques and how they impact the way customers wayfind, navigate and move throughout the product.
- You care deeply about mastering the tools that enable you to eliminate friction between ideas and execution.
- You also have completely unrelated hobbies that will make us love you even more.
Does this sound like you?
Don’t worry if these sound like huge shoes to fill, we’re more interested in the work that you’re proud of and understanding the problems you’ve had a hand in solving.
Send us your CV or resume and portfolio of your work—we’re excited to hear from you.
Posted 12 days ago