Senior Interaction Designer
In a nutshell:
We are looking for an Interaction Designer who is equally passionate about designing elegant user experiences as much as using systems thinking and human-centered design as a source of inspiration to solve complex problems.
Why is this role important for IDEO’s work?
Interaction Designers have impact by creatively expressing the structure and behavior of interactive systems in service of the people who use them. As an Interaction Designer you will be accountable for the visible portions of an experience: the interfaces and touch points that convey information and move people through an experience.
Once here you will:
- Work on projects that identify and solve problems across a variety of industries.
- Collaborate with designers from different backgrounds such as industrial designers, mechanical engineers, communication designers, and other interaction designers to develop a holistic design for our clients.
- Create “looks like/works like” prototypes that communicate a design to potential users and client stakeholders.
- Design websites, apps, and a wide variety of other digital/physical experiences with the end user in mind.
What does IDEO offer you?
IDEO is a place unlike any other. It’s a place where you can solve complex challenges for our clients or the organization, alongside thoughtful individuals who lead with curiosity, empathy, and optimism. We work hard, but we also craft moments that allow our community to pause, create, and connect. We encourage our community to bring their whole selves to work, respect the need for work-life balance, and allow for autonomy in the design process and your career.
Some previous projects to check out:
- Rise Science: Partnered with a sleep analytics start-up to develop a comprehensive sleep training system for professional athletes and scale the business.
- Swell: Collaborated on a new venture and digital product aimed at helping consumers invest in portfolios of stocks that align with their values.
- Beyond 12: Built the MyCoach app to support first generation college students navigating everything from financial aid to selecting classes to meeting like-minded students.
You can review more of IDEO’s work here.
Relevant experience and mindset:
- 3–5 years interaction design experience across a variety of digital media.
- Bachelor’s and/or graduate degree in Interaction Design, Graphic Design, New Media, HCI, or other relevant degree.
- Experience with a variety of graphic design and interaction design tools such as Sketch, Zeplin, HTML/CSS/JS, InVision, Framer, Figma, Processing/P5, Arduino, OpenFrameworks, Principle, and the Adobe CC suite.
- Systems thinking: You love complex questions and use your work to communicate that complexity in simple ways.
- Passion for design: You know the difference between ‘good’ and ‘great’ and are able to not only identify and evangelize best practices, but push boundaries and explore new territory.
- Team skills: You work best in a participatory, team-based environment. You support and inspire teams through collaboration as well as direction, vision, and planning of deliverables.
- Communication: You have strong verbal and visual presentation skills, as well as an articulate point of view about design. You understand the value of design within a business context.
- Prototyping: You are ready to learn from failure, embrace an iterative process and you understand that success comes sooner with trial and error. You have experience in delivering both low and high fidelity prototypes.
- Openness: Designers need to be flexible and open-minded. You are optimistic, generative, and open to new ideas and ways of working
- Human-centered: You can articulate a human-centered approach to design and are comfortable going out into the world for inspiration. You understand basic human-centered design philosophy, embrace ambiguity, and want to continually evolve design methodologies.
Application requirements and instructions:
Please submit a resume, cover letter (yes, we read cover letters), and a portfolio .pdf or link.Posted 12 days ago Apply Now