Head of Product Design
StyleSeat is the go-to, marketplace destination for consumers to discover, book, and pay for beauty and grooming services (hair stylists, colorist, nail artists, estheticians, barbers, etc) from their phone. It is also the premiere solution for all independent professionals in the industry to run and grow their business.
Our professional community is diverse, 75% are women and 50% are minority-owned small businesses. We have powered over 100 million appointments booked and $5B in revenue for small businesses and are on the path to much more.
We're seeking a Head of Product Design at StyleSeat. You are an excellent design leader with strong product vision, a mind towards execution, and a desire to build a culture that elevates the team. You know how to set the bar high. You know what quality looks like and how to help product teams ship at that quality with minimal impact on velocity.
Our Product Design Team serves a vital role at the company, from creating the vision for new features, to the craft and finish of every detail in the product. We appreciate designers who think deeply, speak clearly, and embrace collaboration and feedback.
You will be a strong partner to the Engineering and Product teams in order to realize StyleSeat’s ultimate vision, and together, become the best design team in the industry.
You hire excellent people. You're able to create the systems for you (and others) to effectively evaluate and hire designers and researchers who can take StyleSeat to new levels of excellence.
Through action, coaching and mentoring, you teach the soft and hard skills. You help designers become the collaborative glue that inspires product management and engineering while also developing their core competencies at envisioning what could be.
You increase the effectiveness of the entire team. You improve the design, engineering and product teams, not just your direct reports. As a leader and example-setter you should be more effective when you're not even in the room. Your processes will be celebrated, emulated and copied by teams throughout the organization.
You will report to the VP of Product who reports directly into the CEO.
Duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Drive the design vision, strategy, and executional standard across the entire product experience for creators, consumers and developer audiences.
- Work closely with Product Management, Engineering and Data leaders to create and align a product strategy that supports our user’s needs, and delivers on the value of the brand and business goals.
- Build a culture synonymous with valuing the importance of design and the impact it can have on customer engagement and business results.
- Collaborate with your peers to build and execute against a unifying customer-centric strategy that deeply integrates marketing, product and service.
- Identify and collaborate with operational partners to ensure the Product Design team has the right tools and resources to execute their job at scale.
- Collaborate with all teams to drive an external understanding of the design culture we are building within the company.
- Lead, mentor, and grow a team of UX designers, while also rolling up sleeves as a UX design role player.
- Build systems, tools, and processes to streamline cross-functional product development and user research as we scale.
- Implement efficient UX/UI processes that help the design team achieve their best possible work as they work with product managers and engineers.
- Generate flows, wireframes, interactive prototypes, and high-fidelity mockups that are incredibly simple and elegant for any device or platform (web, iOS, email, etc.).
- Be a major advocate for both qualitative and quantitative data research and leverage to create designs that optimize for conversions.
- Articulate user experience design issues and solutions effectively. Present and justify design thinking and rationale through key milestone deliverables to peers and stakeholders.
What we’re looking for:
- 8+ years of experience in designing, building and shipping high quality web and mobile applications
- 6+ years of experience in interaction and visual design
- 3+ years of management experience with direct reports under your guidance and leadership
- Portfolio showcasing excellent design skills, product thinking, and problem-solving
- Passion and experience working closely with engineering, product and marketing teams
- Majority of design career focused on consumer audiences; marketplace experience a major plus
- Proven ability with both design oversight and hands-on creation of carefully crafted user experiences and visual design deliverables, including user flows, wireframes, typography, color, and information design
- Be able to give and receive feedback is a must