We’re looking for a rockstar brand/graphic designer to join our team. As a Brand/Graphic Designer, you’ll create smart, beautiful, impactful designs across all media, having the opportunity to work on a wide spectrum projects, ranging from digital content and banner ads, to presentation decks, to event and printed collateral.
Our Design team is a tight-knit, low ego, super collaborative group that’s on a mission to create a more curious and rational world. We're driven to create the best design team ever. Not the best in our category. Not the best in the enterprise. The best period.
Design is of critical strategic importance to us. It’s in our DNA. Learn more about us and join our team at our design team site, Alation.design!
A little background on us
Alation was founded in 2012 when a PhD engineer from Google, a designer from Apple, and an executive from Oracle teamed up to help people connect with the data they need. Our customers include brands like BMW, Lime, eBay (and many more), who use Alation as a platform to create more open governments, to help homeowners get back on their feet when disaster strikes, and to cure rare diseases.
We’re based in sunny Redwood City, CA, and with our global team, we come together to work toward a shared vision of a world where informed decision-making is the norm.
What You’ll Do
- Explore new ways to define and extend our brand via color, typography, iconography, photography and video production.
- Ensure all work aligns with design principles and brand standards.
- Work cross-functionally between stakeholders within sales and marketing.
- Design and develop marketing and sales collateral to explain products and solutions to customers and users. Formats may include presentations, landing pages, event materials, digital and print collateral, and infographics, to name a few.
- Spend your days with a friendly, passionate, kick-ass team of designers. (No really, it’s true! Check out our team’s values system)
You should… (in no particular order)
- have at least 3-5 years of experience working as a brand or graphic designer on a Marketing team.
- have strong design sensibilities and a thorough understanding of how information hierarchy, color theory, typography, composition, and other design principles come together to create smart, powerful work. Yet at the same time, love breaking the rules once in a while to create something truly innovative and unique.
- love typography. You watch the film Helvetica on the weekends. For fun. You also know the difference between a hyphen, en dash, and em dash, and know when to appropriately use each one.
- have a great eye for details.
- read this entire posting and put a link to a gif of a puppy or kitten (your pick) doing something cute in your cover letter (we’re not into trick questions, but great design requires reading the requirements to deeply understand stakeholders)
- be confident working across diverse aesthetic styles. Your portfolio shows how you’re able to take a style guide (from Dropbox’s to IBM’s), and create something truly beautiful and artistic with it.
- be well-versed in Adobe Creative Suite (primarily Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign) and ideally Sketch.
- thrive when working in a rapidly growing environment. You’re stoked to play a key role in setting the design culture, being the one of the first members of the design team, and helping lay the groundwork for great design for years to come.
- have excellent communication skills—you’re not afraid to speak up and ask questions, but always #listenlikewerewrong #companyvalues
Nice to haves (in no particular order):
- Shutterbug. You’re great (or have great interest) in taking and retouching photos for Marketing collateral.
- A wordsmith. You love to write and are awesome at it.
Please attach or include a link to your portfolio.
Submissions without portfolios will not be considered.Posted 15 days ago Apply Now