Visual Product Designer
Signal Sciences' mission is to make the web more secure with tools that people love to use, written by people who love to make them. As we grow, we're looking for mid-level and senior product designers who are excited by the challenge of bringing clarity to the complex world of application security and DevOps.
Signal Sciences understands that great technology and user-centered design go hand-in-hand, and values UX as essential to building a great product. We're a highly collaborative and friendly bunch that loves to win as a team. We're ambitious but balanced; we value honesty, humility and mutual respect; and we empower each person on the team to make a meaningful impact and own your projects from start to finish.
We're blazing a trail for how application security should work in an agile/DevOps world, which means you'll get to dig in to some fun, deeply challenging problems. From building out our design system into living React components to coming up with new visualizations for complex datasets, you'll be working every day to deliver world-class design for some of the biggest and best-known brands on the Internet.
Product designers at Signal Sciences work across all four layers of design (outcomes, structure, interaction, visual). You’ll get to think strategically about how to make security problems visible and actionable for our customers, while also sweating the details to design interface components and interactions that add up to a powerful, cohesive and delightful experience.
While all product designers at Signal Sciences are expected to carry a project from research to polished final product, you will have primary ownership over our UI design system - a meaningful but focused problem space. Questions you’ll get get to come in and tackle every day include:
- How do we deliver a well-maintained design system that supports a rapidly evolving product?
- How do we use design to transform complex datasets into insights?
- How do we use visual and interaction design to increase clarity of purpose as well as elevate our brand?
- How do we design interactions and flows that allow users to act on insights to protect their applications and respond to attacks?
- What is the right visual identity and user interface design for a product built for security professionals?
- How do we measure the impact of changes to our product's design?
You should have interest and some experience with all the different facets of product design, from user journeys and IA to interaction design and prototyping. However, we are looking for someone with strong visual design skills who can help to bring a high level of polish and strong identity to our design system. The right designer for this role will:
- Use systems thinking to deliver design that scales, rather than creating one-off solutions.
- Establish a distinctive visual identity for Signal Sciences. You have experience creating interfaces, interactions and illustrations that bring clarity, harmony and beauty to web applications.
- Have a deep understanding of the materials and constraints of the web. While this role may not contribute production code, you should be familiar with modern front-end engineering tools and practices.
- Enjoy solving design problems for a deeply technical product and deeply technical users.
- Embrace a highly iterative design process that is biased toward shipping quickly and fast feedback loops. We value teammates who are very adaptive and great listeners. You're adept at giving and receiving critiques in a collaborative environment.
- This position is part of the Product Design team
- This is an individual contributor role (not people management)
- Located in Los Angeles
- Suitable for mid- and senior-level designers