Lead UX Designer (Prototyping)
3M is driving creativity and design as a competitive platform for innovation and brand globally to enhance design-driven solutions for people and the world. We are looking for a Lead UX Designer (Prototyping) for our Health Care Business Group to enhance the design function at the 3M Design Center, located in Maplewood, MN.
Does your curiosity inspire you to imagine tomorrow’s solutions to today’s problems? Do you ever wonder how collaborative creativity can enrich innovation and make progress possible? Or wonder if design can drive competitive advantage for business, while also having positive impact on the world? These are just a few of the questions we ask at 3M Design every day. Our diverse, global team not only includes design talent from multiple creative disciplines, but also achievement-oriented professionals who keep the engine going for strong operations to ensure our design organization is world class. We’re looking for creative explorers who are excited to be part of the very inspiring journey of design at an innovation company like 3M driven by curiosity.
The person hired for the position of Lead UX Designer (Prototyping) will work with cross-functional teams to create user-centered designs in support of programs of major importance across the 3M Health Information Systems (HIS) Division. Responsible for leading and supporting overall strategy and solution definition to bring to life experience strategies, applications, user interface platform/ ecosystems through creating, iterating on and validating prototypes. Prototyping is essential to our design process. We validate an idea using prototypes at the early stages and then refine the idea through design sprints & user testing. Instead of debating in the conference room, we use informal qualitative research studies at every iteration to gather evidence to address critical questions.
This position provides an opportunity to transition from other private, public, government or military environments to a 3M career.
Major Duties & Responsibilities
Lead UX Designer (Prototyping) primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Execute innovative UX concepts in a fast-paced environment while always keeping user needs at the forefront.
- Advise and collaborate with UX designers, engineers and researchers to refine user interactions from concept to release.
- Rapidly iterate on development of prototype based on input from user testing findings.
- Strategize, brainstorm and define approaches that optimize implementations of designs.
- Contribute and execute against the current design strategy and direction.
- Ensure delivery of designs and prototypes are appropriate for the engineering team.
- Build user interfaces using the desktop, web and iOS/Android platforms.
- Develop a code repository for fast prototyping.
- Supports multiple projects in parallel; organize and manage assignments in a dynamic, diverse environment while meeting tight deadlines.
- Mentor design and business teams to develop their understanding of the possibilities and restrictions of HTML, CSS, JS and development languages.
- Provides design direction, guidance, training, instruction and/or mentoring and coaching to others in Design organization as well as other personnel on design related issues and competencies. May be assigned leadership responsibilities for tasks and/or people on an organizational basis.
- Possess a bachelor’s degree or higher (completed and verified prior to start) from an accredited university in Computer Science, Interaction Design, Visual Communication Design or Graphic Design
- Minimum of five (5) combined years of digital product development experience with apps, desktop, web, and/or other digital ecosystems on other platforms
- M.S. in in Computer Science, Interaction Design, Visual Communication design or a related field or equivalent degree.
- 7-10 years of experience as UX practitioner (e.g. UX Prototyper, Frontend Developer, UX Engineer)
- Proficient in several programming languages, and expert knowledge in at least one.
- Strong understanding of responsive design, software design patterns and data structures.
- Experience with creating web-based products, mobile applications for iOS and Android.
- Experience with popular front-end libraries like Backbone.js, Angular .js, React.js, etc.
- Able to bridge the gap between design and code and comfortable with ambiguity and UX problem solving.
- Experience working collaboratively with other product managers and engineers in a variety of settings and strong communication skills with the ability to articulate positions and advocate designs.
Please attach a file or include a link to a non-confidential portfolio of design work along with your application.
Location: Maplewood, MN
Travel: Up to 25%
Relocation: Is authorized
Must be legally authorized to work in country of employment without sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., H1B status)
About 3M Design
3M Design is the creative engine driving design for innovation at 3M. As a global team of diverse talent that creates meaningful and consistent brand experiences, we stimulate collaborative creativity to translate insights and technologies into solutions that inspire and positively impact our customers, our employees, and our world. At 3M, we apply science in collaborative ways to improve lives daily. With $32 billion in sales, our 91,000 employees connect with customers all around the world.
For more information about 3M Design, visit www.3M.com/design or follow @3MDesign on Twitter. Learn more about 3M at www.3M.com or on Twitter @3M or @3MNews.
Learn more about 3M’s creative solutions to the world’s problems at www.3M.com or on Twitter @3M.3M is an equal opportunity employer. 3M will not discriminate against any applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status.Please note: your application may not be considered if you do not provide your education and work history, either by: 1) uploading a resume, or 2) entering the information into the application fields directly.
Please access the linked document by clicking here, select the country where you are applying for employment, and review. Before submitting your application you will be asked to confirm your agreement with the terms.Posted about 1 month ago Apply Now