About the role
At Kraken we are customer-focused, user-centered and data-driven and also value beautiful design. We are searching for an experienced Visual (UI) Designer who will aesthetically transcend our trading and investment products to the next level and help differentiate us from the rest of the competitive landscape. You will be collaborating with our talented multidisciplinary Interaction (UX) / Visual (UI) Designers, UX Researcher, Product Managers, Content Strategist, Frontend Developers and stakeholders to apply polished high-fidelity design as well as micro-interactions (animations, motion graphics) to our complex trading interfaces for desktop and mobile. You’ll also help maintain, enhance and refine our proprietary Kraken Design System on which our engineers build our standard component library for consistency and streamlined implementation. Big plus if you also excel in Interaction Design; most of our product designers are generalists. In a globally distributed company, we value collaboration and communication; we have regular team collaboration, brainstorming sessions, design sprints to which a Visual Designer would add valuable input. Also cross-functional team members and executive stakeholders are just a Slack message away happy to give feedback.
We need a collaborative, highly-motivated, process-oriented self-starter with a talent for beautiful, engaging and delightful interface design. Competitive salaries, amazing perks, remote work and travel opportunities, beautiful HQ office, stock incentives, flexible hours, and open PTO policy make Kraken a great place to work. If you value having a seat at the table and want to make a big impact on the design and direction of product development at one of the top crypto exchanges in the world, this role is for you.
- 6+ years of professional experience as a Visual (UI) Designer for software applications with a portfolio demonstrating past work experience and deliverables (e.g. mockups, prototypes, live work, etc.)
- Strong grasp of User-Centered Design principles.
- Solid experience with prototyping.
- Solid experience using design systems and pattern libraries.
- Solid experience with typography and iconography.
- Solid experience with micro-interactions.
- Expert with responsive design and mobile-first design.
- Understanding of cross-browser/cross-platform compatibility.
- Solid experience collaborating with developers in an Agile environment during implementation and QA testing (bonus if you have UI development experience).
- Be able to adapt quickly to change
- Strong passion for Bitcoin and the cryptocurrency movement with a desire to make the best trading platform in the world.
- Ability to give and receive constructive feedback and use it to ultimately improve the design.
- Meticulous attention-to-detail.
- Be informed about current and emerging trends in design, product development, crypto, FinTech.
- Be a team player, take initiative and ownership of responsibilities and deliverables.
- Be an excellent communicator (verbal and written), presentation, interpersonal, and analytical skills; requires the ability to communicate complex concepts clearly and persuasively across different audiences and varying levels of the organization.
- Experience working in a collaborative team and directly with Designers, Product Managers, Content Strategists and Frontend Developers in an Agile organization.
- Ability to manage ambiguity, work autonomously, and multi-task in a fast-paced environment.
- Mastery with using design tools (ie. Figma, Sketch, Invision, Zeplin, UXPin, Adobe Creative Suite, Mural, etc.)
- Familiarity with project management software (i.e. Jira, Confluence, Wrike, Asana)
- Collaborate cross-functionally with Designers, Product Managers, Content Strategists, Frontend Developers to conceptualize and design beautiful, innovative and intuitive trading and investment products.
- Apply polished high-fidelity design to wireframes using our Design System and Style Guide.
- Create prototypes from high-fidelity mockups.
- Create responsive mobile-first layouts while maintaining the integrity of the original design.
- Maintain, contribute to and refine our Design System, component library and style guide.
- Apply micro-interactions for extra uniqueness “pizzazz”.
- Design iconography and/or illustrations to enhance our interfaces.
- Participate in our usability tests to validate designs; iterate and refine based on insights and KPIs — we are never “done” improving.
- Be a strategic partner within the product organization, as a whole, to identify problems, make educated evidence-based hypotheses, test/validate results and keep iterating.
- Evangelize UX and product design within the broader organization.
- Work with marketing designers to maintain a cohesive Brand aesthetic throughout our marketing efforts and products.
Check out all our open roles at https://jobs.lever.co/kraken. We’re excited to see what you’re made of.