Founding UX/Product Design Lead
Cubby’s mission is to empower self-storage operators to grow their independent and family-owned businesses in the face of massive institutionalization. There are more than 70,000 self-storage properties in North America. They’re operated by more than 35,000 independent business owners who provide service to tenants in times of tremendous life change. Whether moving across the country for a new job opportunity or moving on after a family death or divorce, self-storage tenants really value a high-quality renting experience. So much, in fact, that self-storage is the fastest growing asset class in commercial real estate - surpassing $50 billion annually in the U.S. last year. Investor interest is pouring in, and with it, tremendous pressure to compete at the highest level.
If you want to build technology for the ten-plus percent of Americans renting storage space, to help provide meaningful career growth for near minimum wage managers looking for a way to earn their bonus, and you want to equip the independent owners, lenders, and investors that make up this industry, Cubby can offer the rarest of opportunities. This product will touch both consumer and business users with vertical SaaS workflow, payments, and lending fintech across web, mobile, and POS systems. A ton of interesting challenges for a true design mind.
We’re a seed-stage company with a focused, growing engineering team. We’re lucky enough to be backed by a phenomenal group of investors and 25+ of the industry’s most influential advisors, giving us the access and resources to build things right and think for the long term. We’re seeking a UX/Design Lead to help us create products that allow our users to unlock the full value of this massive asset class.
What you’ll do
- Lead the UX/Design function, a primary focus at Cubby. From hands-on design to growing the team, we’ll work together to make Cubby the finest design destination in PropTech/FinTech.
- Cultivate a deep understanding of Cubby’s problem space and our users
- Create specifications, wireframes, visual mockups, and/or prototypes as needed
- Work collaboratively with engineering teams to realize product design
- Define research metrics to determine optimal functionality
- Lead usability testing efforts as needed
- Advocate for accessibility and diverse viewpoints in our design process
- Build the teams, systems, and processes that make Cubby a magically simple, gorgeous technology as we scale through Series A and beyond.
- You’re a generally pleasant and consistently dependable
- You’ve 5+ years of experience designing UX
- You have a thoughtful, informed opinion on what makes great design
- You’re a self-starter. This is a seed-stage company where you’ll have to wear a lot of hats and help us create product momentum.
- We optimize for designers who think of themselves as product owners with vision over designers who create wireframes that their PMs dictate
- Experience managing designers and/or PMs a plus
- Familiarity with CRM, Payments, Real Estate Accounting, Customer Messaging, Fintech Lending, and/or e-commerce checkouts a plus
- Familiarity with Figma
- Outstanding writing and documentation skills
- Competitive salary, medical/dental/vision, and truly meaningful equity
- The hardware setup of your dreams
- Open vacation policy
- 1 month paid leave after every 3 years
Cubby is committed to promoting equality, inclusion, and diversity and that’s already represented on our team. We’re an equal-opportunity employer of the brightest minds we can find — regardless of race, gender, age, religion, sexual orientation, or identity.