Mid-Senior Product Designer
Who we are
Nightjar is an experience design studio based in Sydney specialising in UX strategy, product design, and silky front-end dev. We partner with brands and startups across the world, to build engaging design-led solutions which make a 🌎 impact. Our clients include THE ICONIC, DestinationNSW, EVENT Entertainment & Hospitality, Mortgage Choice, ReachOut and Secret-7 to name a few.
Nightjar is a small, close knit team and you will be relied upon to be a contributing and involved member in terms of both your work output but also your attitude, work ethic, and sense of adventure! We support one another day to day, and no job is completed in isolation. We encourage constant feedback loops and open dialogue for healthy working relationships.
We're also big believers in the power of work / life balance and the benefit gained from happy team-mates. We work hard but we're good at designating play time too, and we have regular Nightjar excursions to explore the wide world around us. We're fiercely against office all-nighters and high levels of stress. Monday to Friday we're in the studio from 9am-6pm 😀, but you'll have a 'never quit til it's done' attitude in the face of deadlines. Ride together, die together!
As a design studio, it goes without saying that design is a fundamental part of what we do, and a discipline we respect highly.
As a Senior Product Designer at Nightjar, you will help the team develop creative concepts and designs across a broad spectrum of interactive content.
You will work most closely with Ahmed our Head of Design Tech 👨🏻🍳. His attention to detail is second to none, so you should also have a keen eye 👁. You will display a strong level of conceptual thinking and be able to convey your ideas with both verbal and written comms, internally and to clients.
You will help set the bar for the quality of creative output at Nightjar. You will produce concepts and designs that are not only highly intuitive and engaging, but answer real business problems. An understanding of strategy, ideation, visual design as well as current and emerging technologies is essential. We are a small, close knit team and you will be relied upon to be a contributing and involved member in terms of both your work output but also your attitude, work ethic, and sense of adventure!
You will be excited to explore different territories and ideas, and present multiple solutions to the problem at hand. You'll love a bit of time at the whiteboard and sketching out your thoughts before jumping into Sketch. You will take on feedback and work together with Ahmed and Bonnie to make things better, not just take the easy route.
- 5+ years working in startups, studios or agencies delivering top-notch interaction design for 💻 web and mobile📱 platforms that drive digital direction for brands, and a portfolio that reflects this.
- A love for the craft of design before anything else, with strong a understanding of user experience and information architecture.
- Bring cutting edge ideas and concepts to the team that push boundaries in how people interact with the products we design.
- Explain, discuss, and justify design decisions using data and user-centred design principles.
- Work with our Head of Experience Strategy (Bonnie) and Head of Design Tech (Ahmed) to deliver designs that align with our UX, research findings and design sprints.
- Understand animation principles/process to deliver on rapid-prototyping, micro-interactions and contextual magic moments throughout the experience.
- Maintain and strive for the highest creative and design quality possible.
- Passionate about what you do and put the effort in to make it look stunning, working with our front-end developers to bring your work to life.
- Proactively identify/resolve issues to our Producers and know when to push back, especially on decisions that impact user experience.
- Work closely with the Technical and Production teams throughout projects, communicating regularly.
- Able to work on multiple projects at a time, comfortable working under pressure and meeting deadlines.
- Can accurately quote on times needed for specific tasks.
- Disciplined with your time and be a solid communicator, ensuring the rest of the team are kept abreast of project statuses and any outstanding deliverables.
Tools / Skills
- Proficient in Sketch and tools such as inVision + Craft, Zeplin, Abstract and a keenness to learn emerging tools (inVision Studio). You will lead and own the design process.
- Animation tools such as Framer X, Principle and After Effects skills to create prototypes from your designs and allow for easy handoff to our development team.
- Understanding of pattern libraries to full design systems.
- At Nightjar, we hire for attitude and train for skills. We recognise that new tools, products and systems are always appearing and we're always open to trying out new processes if they help our productivity, efficiency, and happiness. You'll need to also be flexible and willing to throw out old systems that no longer serve us or our clients.
- The Nightjars work in Slack, Notion, Jira and Trello. These are all intuitive programs which help streamline our workflow and delegate tasks. You'll be using them daily to communicate both internally and with clients.
- You'll need a great sense of humour and have to laugh at Ahmed's dad jokes so you don't hurt his feelings. 🤣
- The Nightjar studio is located on Crown Street in Surry Hills 👑
- Competitive package
- Training budget
- Super fun studio environment
- Send your portfolio to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- PS - you must love dogs 🐶