busuu’s vision is to break down language barriers. We are the world's largest language learning community with over 90m users from 190 countries, growing at up to 30,000 new users per day. We make learning a language easy by combining AI-powered courses with instant feedback from our global community of native speakers.
busuu has received several awards such as ‘Europe’s Best Education Start-up’ by TechCrunch, ‘Best of iOS Apps’ by Apple and ‘Best of Google Play’ by Google to name a few and we are part of the prestigious Future Fifty Program consisting of UK’s best Scale-Ups. We collaborate with world-leading universities (CUNY, UCL etc) in the field of language learning research, and partner with companies such as Google, Amazon and Facebook to bring language learning to AI-powered devices (Google Home, Amazon Alexa) and into virtual reality (Oculus).
busuu has raised over 15m EUR and is backed by renowned business angels and serial entrepreneurs (Johann Hansmann, Martin Varsavsky, Brent Hoberman), PROFounders Capital and McGraw-Hill Education.
We are an ambitious, high-energy, international and friendly team of 100+ based in central London with offices in Madrid and Köln. We come from diverse backgrounds and share a passion for tech start-ups and education.
At busuu, things move fast. If you’re enthusiastic, motivated and want to help us to enable hundreds of millions of people around the world to learn a language, get in touch. It’s your chance to change the world.
We are looking for a design leader to set a high bar for design across all of our products, instilling a design-led culture within our business.
You will be responsible for managing design requirements, improving design processes and setting up design systems at busuu (yeah, we've written "design" thrice 🙂 ).
You will oversee UI and UX on all our platforms while evolving and maintaining the brand through all our properties. Most importantly, you will positively impact the lives of million of people – everyday, you will be pushing features and flows to our more than 90 million users across the 🌍 , each learning a new language to improve their lives.
What does a designer do at busuu?
As a designer at busuu, you will have the opportunity to design the interfaces and interactions for new features, pushed to millions of users every day. You will lead design projects across the entire product lifecycle and multiple product launches. You will set the vision for the user experience and create the space for others to collaborate.
You will work closely with engineers as they build and ship ideas. You’ll partner with engineering, product, and business folks to find elegant but practical solutions to design challenges. You’ll provide the thought leadership to develop the right product strategy. Together, you’ll solve problems and come up with solutions that delight our users.
Most importantly, as Lead Designer, you will lead a strong team of 3 experienced designers and be responsible for their professional development. You will line manage members of your team through regular 1-1s and focus your team on delivering features quickly, effectively and to the highest standard.
What we’re looking for from a Lead Designer at busuu
- Own every part of busuu’s design: apps, website, social media properties, emails, app store listings...
- You're a systems thinker. You love creating guidelines, styleguides and design systems 📐
- Ready and confident to own a global brand seen by millions and take it to the next level 🚀
- You can develop the approach for tackling a problem and have deep knowledge of various design methodologies 🔬
- You enjoy improving design workflows and exploring new tools. You ensure your team moves forward, implementing new processes, practices and tools 🛠️
- Experience of working within an Agile development team
- Experience in designing user interfaces for a wide variety of form factors 📱 💻
- A good 👁️ , capable of creating both low-fi sketches and pixel-perfect visual designs
- You're an excellent 🗣️ of design work and the rationale behind your proposals
- Be a thought-leader and the face of design at busuu. You enjoy giving talks and teaching peers 👩🏫 👨🏫
- Lead a strong team of 3 experienced designers and guide them in their professional development 💫
- Responsible for hiring for any open roles within your team
Not ticking every box or think you’ve got that unique set of skills we haven’t realised we need? Get in touch anyway; we’re always looking to add great people at every level
- Competitive salary.
- Bonus Scheme.
- Training budget so you can level up
- Private healthcare.
- Gym membership.
- Free breakfast and snacks.
- Free dinners with Deliveroo.
- Friday socials and evenings out in London
- Regular company trips - we're renting an island in Croatia next!