Staff Marketing Designers
Shopify is the leading omni-channel commerce platform. Merchants use Shopify to design, set up, and manage their stores across multiple sales channels, including mobile, web, social media, marketplaces, brick-and-mortar locations, and pop-up shops. The platform also provides merchants with a powerful back-office and a single view of their business, from payments to shipping. The Shopify platform was engineered for reliability and scale, making enterprise-level technology available to businesses of all sizes. Headquartered in Ottawa, Canada, Shopify currently powers over 1,000,000 businesses in approximately 175 countries and is trusted by brands such as Allbirds, Gymshark, PepsiCo, Staples, and many more.
NOTE: Only applicants who submit a portfolio of design work alongside application will be considered.
We’re looking for a Staff Marketing Designer to help us define how we represent Shopify’s core product offering to merchants, developers, and partners. The right candidate is a strategic designer and leader with a strong point of view, who is also comfortable getting into the weeds and working directly with their team to build effective marketing experiences for future and current Shopify partners and merchants.
This is a leadership role on our team, though not directly managing people. At Shopify, leaders thrive on change and can navigate ambiguity in order to move our team vision and company mission forward. They operate on trust, leveraging diverse perspectives in everything they do. They must be comfortable working in a cross-functional and fast-paced environment.
As a Staff Marketing Designer, you’ll lead design projects of significant scope, complexity and responsibility in creative vision, strategy and execution. You’ll work closely with our marketing and product counterparts to shape marketing initiatives, grow the number of customers using Shopify, and the reach of Shopify the brand. You’ll collaborate with a multidisciplinary development, content, and production team to deliver user-centered, industry-leading design work.
If this sounds like you, and you’re excited to work in a friendly, collaborative environment, we’d love to hear from you.
- Solving complex problems with simple design solutions and translating them into effective and cohesive suites of assets that can be leveraged across multiple mediums and channels.
- Evolving the user experience, optimizing the effectiveness, and improving the customer journey of our marketing properties and activations.
- Applying strategic thinking to visualize ideas and concepts and communicate them effectively and compellingly.
- You’re a lifelong learner, understanding the value of user feedback and performance metrics, to help improve your craft.
- You’ll be an active mentor for designers, helping lead critiques and design reviews.
- Using facilitative leadership skills to drive to the best outcome for stakeholders, partners, and customers.
- Running design thinking workshops and helping to guide, improve, and implement design and feedback processes.
- Champion brand standards, guidelines, and the marketing UX craft within your team as well as the broader multi-disciplinary team.
- Working with cross-functional teams (developers, product, marketers, researchers, production, content designers, fellow designers) to drive design vision and strategy that meets the needs of our users.
- Building positive, collaborative relationships with product management, development, marketing, and the broader UX team, as well as continuously "raising the bar" as an effective leader of positive change.
- A keen eye for good design and attention to detail.
- Providing technical and strategic UX design on marketing efforts.
- The desire to drive creative through an end-to-end UX process, including research, ideation, iteration, and validation.
- A passion for solving design problems while wearing multiple hats and owning all facets of design (content design, wire-framing, art direction, and interaction design).
- Exceptional UI abilities shown in an extensive portfolio of projects.
- Excellent communication and storytelling skills; you have the ability to help your team and stakeholders understand the “why” behind your design rationale.
- You’ve led a multidisciplinary team including design, research, development, production and content.
- You understand that leadership is a craft, and know how to mentor your team members to help them grow and succeed.
- Deep experience with driving and applying user-centered design processes while working with cross-functional teams including development, product management, marketing, and research.
- Working closely with the PMM and Product on your projects to balance technical, business, and user requirements.
- An understanding that great experiences come from collaborative decision-making with marketers, developers, researchers, content, production and other disciplines.
- Adjust quickly to shifting approaches, situations, and priorities.
- Passion for unpacking and solving complex problems.
- You live at the intersection of marketing and user experience and understand how to take users on a complete journey from discovery to adoption and success.
- Expert knowledge of the end to end iterative design process, including how to develop and use personas, journey mapping, content design art direction, wireframing and prototyping, user testing, and high fidelity visuals.
- A scrappy, resourceful approach to projects - you’re proactive and great at self assigning tasks.
- Empathy for the user and about building for everyone - this includes, but is not limited to, accessibility, internationalization and localization, browser and device support.
- Proficiency with design and prototyping tools (Figma, Photoshop, etc), as well as knowledge of working with various mediums such as web, social, email, blogs etc.
- Knowledge and familiarity with a data informed approach to design. You’ve used tools and resources needed to measure success of design decisions (A/B testing tools, Google Analytics, etc.).
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous people, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.
Shopify is now permanently remote, and we’re working towards a future that is digital by design. That location you see above? Consider it merely an example of hundreds of potential locations Shopify is hiring. Learn more here: https://www.shopify.com/careers/work-anywhere
Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity & inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities, and/or people with intersectional identities. Please take a look at our Sustainability Reports to learn more about Shopify’s commitments to our communities, and our planet.
At Shopify, we understand that experience comes in many forms. We’re dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team - so if your experience is this close to what we’re looking for, please consider applying.