Freelance Motion Designer
Inequality Media educates and engages the public about inequality and imbalance of power through the use of digital media. Each week, we catalyze action by creating short, engaging, shareable videos released through traditional and social media. Founded in 2014 by former Secretary of Labor Robert Reich and Emmy Award-winning director Jacob Kornbluth, we have produced over 220 videos - plus 260 live broadcasts - which have been viewed over 450 million times. And we now have over 4.8 million followers from every state in the nation. Join our team!
Inequality Media employees are politically aware and media-savvy. We are seeking smart, talented, creative professionals to help make a meaningful impact in media, technology, and the world.
Inequality Media Motion Designers are active storytellers and collaborators in the video creation process. Videos are scripted, and roughly 3 minutes in length. They integrate direct-to-camera presentations by Robert Reich or other thought leaders with motion graphics to make complex ideas accessible and easy to understand. We don’t just want our design work to look beautiful and distinctive — it must be accurate, concise, and help explain complex political and economic issues to a general audience.
Motion Designers work with our Creative Director and head of post production to come up with visual ideas based on scripts. Motion designers then bring to life the scripted story through their animations and video editing. Candidates should be imaginative and resourceful, able to handle multiple projects and deadlines, and have a passion for current events and nonfiction storytelling.
Our headquarters is in Berkeley, California and this is a remote freelance position (though designers based in the Bay Area would be preferred). Great communication is critical in this fast-paced collaborative workflow.
What you'll do:
- Turn raw media into polished entertaining content
- Develop storyboards from written scripts
- Develop and design styleframes
- Animate sequences to voice over
- Blend motion graphics with live storytelling
- Identify and integrate archival footage with motion graphics
- Design and animate charts, timelines and maps
What you'll bring:
- 3+ years of industry experience
- Expertise in After Effects, Premiere, Illustrator and Photoshop
- Sharp design sensibility
- A portfolio and reel that shows proven design and animation capabilities
- Strong creative problem solving ability
- An interest in Inequality Media’s style of explainer videos
- Data visualization experience
- Positive, collaborative approach
- Illustration a plus
- Political fluency a plus
- Documentary or journalism experience a plus
Please email examples of your work / a link to your reel and a resume/CV to email@example.com by Friday, February 1, 2019.
Inequality Media offers a competitive salary.
Inequality Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. Inequality Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.
Posted 29 days ago