Product Designer, Crossword and Puzzles
The Crossword and Puzzles team is seeking a talented Product Designer to help us create a best-in-class digital solving experience and grow our audience with fun, new puzzles and games.
As part of the New Products and Ventures group, we’re always looking for ways to grow and innovate. We’ve made it our mission to make the New York Times Crossword, a beloved ritual in our solvers’ lives, more enjoyable and accessible to everyone.
What you’ll do
On a day-to-day basis you’ll work closely with our product owner, project managers, editors, designers, engineers and quality assurance to encourage and engage people who are new to solving crosswords, streamline our cross-platform user experience, as well as help integrate, develop and refine our brand standards. You’ll make new features that bring people together over the experience of solving a crossword puzzle.
Periodically, you’ll contribute to our games expansion initiative to conceptualize and prototype new games and puzzles. You’ll also support and strengthen the design culture at The New York Times by sharing your work in its various stages and providing feedback at cross-team critiques.
- Support high-level product strategy, ensuring we’re asking the right questions and solving for identified user needs.
- Create user journeys, experience maps, wireframes and other frameworks to help build team consensus, facilitate conversations and aid decision-making.
- Help shape feature implementation by providing a user-centered perspective to the team’s solution.
- Create production-ready design deliverables.
- Collaborate with engineers to ensure the visual quality of what we release.
- Contribute to the Crossword and Puzzles design system so we can maintain consistency as the product grows.
- Communicate the progress and outcome of your work to your teammates and peers.
- Provide thoughtful, considered feedback to your design peers.
- Minimum of 3 years of design experience including experience designing for native mobile apps or websites; experience with both is preferred
- Experience working iteratively on Agile teams
- Exceptional interpersonal skills. Collaboration and communication are at the heart of how we work as a team. You are an excellent listener who loves giving and receiving honest, thoughtful feedback.
- Cross-discipline fluency. You know how to break down big challenges into smaller decisions framed as trade-offs (e.g. time vs. scope). You also know how to speak to engineers and have empathy for their challenges.
- Experience integrating qualitative research and data insights into product and design decisions
- Desire to continually improve your work and evolve how you work
- Excellent visual and typographic sensibilities
- Understanding of technologies used to build modern digital experiences
- Enthusiasm for puzzles, games and The New York Times’ mission.
- This position is based in New York, NY.
When you apply, please include a link to your portfolio of work. Applications without portfolios will not be considered.
We want to see a complete picture of your problem-solving process along with the finished design work. Be prepared to discuss:
- Your methods for identifying user needs
- How you determined which methods to apply
- The design artifacts created during your process
- How you’ve iterated on solutions based on new information
Benefits and Perks:
- Make an impact by supporting our original, independent and deeply reported journalism.
- We provide competitive health, dental, vision and life insurance for employees and their families
- We support responsible retirement planning with a generous 401(k) company match.
- We offer a competitive parental leave.
- We are committed to career development and ongoing learning, and provide employees $8,000 annually for tuition reimbursement.
- We have frequent panel discussions and talks by a wide variety of newsmakers and industry leaders.
- Join a community committed to the richness of diversity, experiences and talents in the world we cover, supported by a variety of employee resource groups.
The New York Times is committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce, one that reflects the varied global community we serve. Our journalism and the products we build in the service of that journalism greatly benefit from a range of perspectives, which can only come from diversity of all types, across our ranks, at all levels of the organization. Achieving true diversity and inclusion is the right thing to do. It is also the smart thing for our business. So we strongly encourage women, veterans, people with disabilities, people of color and gender nonconforming candidates to apply.
The New York Times Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of an individual's sex, age, race, color, creed, national origin, alienage, religion, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation or affectional preference, gender identity and expression, disability, genetic trait or predisposition, carrier status, citizenship, veteran or military status and other personal characteristics protected by law. All applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to legally protected characteristics.Posted 30 days ago Apply Now