Paperpile creates beautiful software for students and researchers. Our web-app and upcoming mobile apps help our users to find, organize, and cite academic papers and books.
Originally started in Boston, we are now a distributed team across six countries.
Our product line and user base is growing fast, and we are looking for a lead UI designer that makes it even more efficient and enjoyable for our users to work with our products.
- As part of a small team everything you do matters. You work on stuff that has a direct big impact on the product and our customers.
- Work from anywhere on your own schedule. We communicate with tools like Slack, Hangouts, Notion to move our product forward fast.
- Work with an interesting and diverse community of academics. Our customers use Paperpile to study climate change, cancer or medieval history. Your designs will make their work more productive.
About the position
- Available immediately
- Remote, or in Vienna/Austria.
- Contract, either part time (at least 20 hours/week) or full-time (depending on the scope of your role, see below).
- You take a lead to refresh and unify the design of our complete product line: webapp, browser extensions, Google Docs plugin and our new mobile and desktop apps.
- You design from scratch a new product aimed at undergrad students.
- Your designs find the right balance of functionality and aesthetics and adapt to the audience (i.e. students vs researcher) and environment (e.g. desktop vs iPad)
- You design a wide variety of different interfaces from a sidebar in a Google Document to a search engine for academic books.
- You design engaging onboarding screens taking responsibility for the first impression of our products to our users.
- You improve user experience with meaningful and enjoyable animations.
- You create modular design systems as a strong basis for all your designs.
- You work closely with the developer team to deliver new features fast to our users.
- You take part in wireframing of new user interactions and collecting feedback to refine existing workflows.
- You have designed complex web and mobile applications demonstrated by an online portfolio.
- You show strong visual aesthetics and understanding of colors, typography, iconography, animation and branding.
- You have a deep knowledge of theoretical UI/UX principles and experience with their practical application on modern platforms.
- You follow and understand modern UI trends but your design are unique and push the state of the art.
- Pragmatic and solution oriented.
- Strong skills with all relevant tools (Sketch, Adobe products, ...)
Optional but a big plus
- Visual design skills (illustrations, hand drawings, print layout, ...)
Posted about 1 month ago