Senior Product Designer
Here at Freckle, our mission is to ensure that every student gets a world-class education. We believe that students do their best learning when teachers can reach them at their individual levels. Yet, most teachers are only provided with resources that teach to one specific level.
To overcome this, teachers work nights and weekends to find the perfect piece of content for each of their students. Then, during the day, they work with their classes in small groups so they can personalize their instruction as best they can. Teachers are doing this all on their own and they deserve our help!
That’s why, at Freckle, we’re passionate about providing teachers with the resources and data they need to teach all of their students at the level that’s best for them. As of today, we reach over 10 million students across 50% of American schools and, with your help, we’re excited to make an even larger impact.
What you tell your friends you do
"Teachers have it hard - they get insufficient support from their districts and have like 30 kids in a class all at different levels, making it impossible to really reach them. I get them incredible technology and curriculum so they can actually do what they got into teaching to do - help students."
What you will do
Join Freckle as a senior member of the design team, and help set the tone for how Freckle builds products. As the Senior Product Designer, you will be involved in every aspect of the product development process, from brainstorming with the founding team to working with customers on ideas to helping the engineering team execute on them. You will be expected to utilize your full range of product design, interaction design, and visual design skills, and you will own the experience for all of Front Row's product. This position is full-time and based in San Francisco.
Your first week you'll do things like
- Talk to teachers over the phone, over video, and by visiting classrooms
- Learn about everything our customers have said and think about Front Row from past surveys, email conversations, and interview notes
- Talk to the curriculum team, to product management, to sales, and to marketing to learn how the team works with customers
Your first quarter you'll do things like
- Take broad, conceptual ideas and work with customers to design flows and experiences that are incredibly simple and elegant
- Work with engineers on a day to day basis to help them execute on your vision
- Collaborate closely with internal teams and conduct research to inform important design decisions
Your first year you'll do things like
- Contribute to high-level strategic decisions with the rest of the product and executive teams
- Give and solicit feedback from other team members in order to continually raise our bar for quality
- Understand our students, teachers, administrators, and parents at an incredibly deep level
- Assist in establishing best practices for the design process at Freckle and lay the foundation of our design culture for the future to come
- Own and keep a design system consistent and up-to-date alongside fellow product designers
- At least 5 years of experience in product, UX, or interaction design
- The ability to inform design decisions based on user research and communicate these decisions to relevant stakeholders
- A passion for education and a desire to deeply understand the space and develop empathy for students, teachers, and administrators
- A collaborative spirit, with a drive to learn from and educate teammates
- Strong customer and internal team research skills.
- Experience owning and shipping products end-to-end alongside fellow product designers, product managers, and engineering teams
- A strong work ethic
Nice to have:
- Fluency in various design and prototyping tools, such as Sketch, InVision, and Zeplin (our design stack)
- Competitive base salary
- Generous equity option grants
- Medical, Dental, and Vision
- The week before New Years off
- $1000 annually to spend on professional development and learning
- Lunch and dinner on Freckle four times a week
- Conveniently located office in downtown SF next to the Montgomery Bart Station