Product Designer - Design Systems
Design at Compass
Compass is a real estate platform that provides comprehensive brokerage services, combining exceptional agents with thoughtfully crafted digital products to make the process of buying, selling, or renting a home intelligent, deliberate, and seamless.
Designers lead the full lifecycle of their designs across all platforms, collaborate with product managers on strategy, participate in research to test and validate designs, and consult with engineering to make everything come to life.
About the role
We’re a team of 12 (and growing!) in Product Design divided into feature teams: Productivity, Search & Listings, Core Experience, and Design Systems.
This role will be joining the team responsible for our “Constellation” Design System. Designers on this team work on creating the components, patterns, interactions, and behaviors that define our design system and underpin our product's user experience. It’s an exciting role, where you’ll have to cater to two types of users:
- Our internal team that uses our design system to build our products. A lot of your work will involve cross-functional collaboration to ensure teams are well supported and have what they need to design their features.
- Our end users, including Compass agents, their clients, and prospects who use our product and, ultimately, the building blocks you create for our feature teams.
What we’re looking for
We’re looking for a self-starting designer who actively looks for ways to improve our design system. You have naturally good taste and are interested in continuing to grow and hone your craft.
You have pixel-perfect standards with exceptional interaction design skills and an eye for accessibility and usability. You’ll work with front-end and UX engineers to ensure your designs are implemented perfectly.
You have a strong eye for identifying common design patterns throughout web and native mobile platforms and an understanding of how to implement these patterns into our system.
You're in the zone when you're designing components and love geeking out on UI details or interaction patterns. You also understand there’s value in cross-functional collaboration and can clearly communicate our design system to teammates and stakeholders alike.
Above all, you’re an advocate for consistency with enough flexibility to accommodate critique and change.
What you get to do every day:
- Own design components from concept to code—knowing nothing is ever really final.
- Document and communicate how your components behave so that designers, engineers, and product managers get the most out of Constellation.
- Pair with engineers to realize your designs on all platforms (web, iOS, Android).
- Be constantly on the lookout for best practices, design patterns and anti-patterns throughout various industries and platforms.
- Be a key player on a small but mighty team making a huge impact
- At least 3-5 years experience in product design
- Previous experience iterating on a design system
- Ability to take a project from ideation to completion
- Strong, clean visual design sense
- Thinks in terms of design systems and makes rational and logical design decisions
- Knowledge of modern, emerging web and mobile UI patterns and design tools
- Flourishes in an environment of continuous learning and eager to advance your craft further
- Strong technical background with an understanding of the basics
- Ability to communicate and collaborate on cross-functional teams
At Compass, our mission is to help everyone find their place in the world. This means we continually celebrate the diverse community different individuals cultivate. As an equal opportunity employer, we stay true to our mission by ensuring that our place can be anyone’s place.
Posted 2 months ago