Head of Design
We designers at Algolia believe that discovery is fundamental to the internet (and human) experience. Every product and business should help guide its customers toward their final goal, but this is not always simple. At Algolia, we became search experts and developed tools and knowledge to support our customers’ search experiences, so that they can focus on what they do best.
We are an engineering company at heart and believe that by empowering developers to create great solutions for their businesses, everyone benefits. We’ve created a suite of developer tools to help them build search experiences. Over the years we’ve accumulated knowledge of what makes a great end-user search experience, and are excited to go beyond the search box by exploring discovery experiences using new technologies and in new contexts.
Design at Algolia
We are currently a team of 9, composed of: product designers, brand designers, a researcher, and a producer. We are reporting into separate organizations and are looking for the Head of Design to unify us under one roof. Most of us are in Paris and the rest in San Francisco. We are projecting to at least double the team in 2019.
As a group, we have an impact on most products at Algolia and serve our key user groups: end-users of search, developers, buyers/customers, and internal users. We work on a variety of projects, including: defining best practices and patterns for end users of search experiences; empowering developers to build great search; helping our clients to make decisions based on their search data; supporting our internal teams and helping Algolia scale through tooling; and, of course, our marketing site and materials. We also spend time supporting our client-facing teams by providing them with UX advice, and by consulting our clients directly through design sessions and workshops.
As the Head of Design, you will help Algolia’s design practice take the next step! We are looking for a Head of Design, who will unify and lead the Product and Brand/Creative design efforts in a quickly changing environment. You will lead and develop a team of passionate and autonomous product designers, brand designers and user researchers. You will work with your Product Management, Marketing and Engineering counterparts to deliver the best user-centered products.
YOUR ROLE WILL CONSIST OF:
- Structure and build the team. You will help scale the team, by creating structures and processes to help grow designers and ensure we have the right mix of skill sets. You will help your design managers with hiring by identifying talents and getting them to join the team.
- Mentor and coach. You will help your reports to develop into next generation of design leaders. You will also help them perform at their best, enabling their teams grow and learn.
- Live the culture. You will help Algolia define its unified design culture and demonstrate it every day through your actions. You will embody and practice Algolia’s core values in the way you manage your team: grit, humility, candor, care and trust.
- Scale process and practices. You will work with design managers and our creative director to establish a methodological toolkit, and make sure it is shared, understood, and used throughout the team and Algolia. You will help us mature our design system.
- Create a Vision. You will work with the design team to create and develop a unified experience across products and platforms. You will also help us define and bring to life the vision for design at Algolia. Finally, you will be a part of the strategic planning for Algolia and the design team.
- Represent design for the organization. You will be the primary voice of design inside and outside the company; sharing its work, evangelizing its success, articulating its vision and value.
YOU MIGHT BE A FIT IF YOU HAVE:
- Have experience leading and scaling creative and product design teams in a fast-growing environment.
- Are exceptionally user-centered.
- You’ve been humbled by your successes and failures in your past leadership roles. You see leadership as a service role and strive to support and bring out the full potential in your reports and the organization.
- Can be effective working across time zones and cultures.
- Can strike a balance between quality, speed, and vision.
- Are adaptable and embrace change, have a growth mindset, willingness to own problems, a desire to make things better and a sense of optimism.
- Are an expert communicator, and can do so effectively in written and spoken English.
- You have experience building and operationalizing a design system.
WE’RE LOOKING FOR SOMEONE WHO CAN LIVE OUR VALUES:
- GRIT - Problem-solving and perseverance capability in an ever-changing and growing environment
- TRUST - Willingness to trust our co-workers and to take ownership
- CANDOR - Ability to receive and give constructive feedback
- CARE - Genuine care about other team members, our clients and the decisions we make in the company
- HUMILITY- Aptitude for learning from others, putting ego aside.
- Private Medical Insurance
- Life and Disability Insurance
- Business Travel Insurance
- Relocation support
- Company Canteen (high standard)
- Flexible work hours and unlimited time off
- Competitive pay and equity
- Your choice of computer, phone, keyboard, headphones, you name it. Everything you need to be efficient
- Coaching and sponsorship to participate and speak at leading industry conferences
- Ongoing professional education opportunities through internal & external workshops, including public speaking, language learning (English/French)
- Fun: we spend time together — team building, socializing and making tools that encourage getting to know teammates across offices and continents.
- Charitable contribution matching
- Unique referral rewards program: refer a candidate, and we’ll donate to your charity of choice
- Corporate flats available for the first months of relocation and when you travel to different offices
- Fully stocked kitchens
- Team workouts
- Meals & happy hours
Posted 4 months ago