Senior UX Visualization Designer
We are looking for a Senior UX Visualization Designer for our public health efforts. If you are excited about mission-first work that positively impacts lives, then this may be the perfect role for you.
The Senior UX Visualization Designer will lead the design decisions for Act Now’s efforts on public health.
The initial focus will be supporting our work with a well-known international public health NGO on their global COVID response. Their goal is to provide COVID vaccines, therapeutics, and other life-saving resources throughout the world, with a focus on helping lower-income countries, directing billions of dollars in international aid.
Your designs will communicate key data and insights to NGO partners, world leaders, and local decision makers.
You’ll be reporting directly to ActNow’s Engineering Lead and working closely with the Product Lead. We’re a close-knit team that prioritizes accessible design and have been a remote organization since our inception. This position is based anywhere in the US or Canada.
Act Now is a non-profit startup that finds and executes on the biggest opportunities for software tools to advance public good. Instead of maximizing profit, we maximize positive impact. We aim to create a workplace, community, and culture that empowers mission-driven professionals who want to prioritize their skills for improving the world.
Our first project was Covid Act Now. It’s helped governments, private organizations and tens of millions of people make informed, science-based decisions on how to stay safe during the COVID pandemic.
Now we’re expanding our COVID efforts globally.
You’ll be creating low and high fidelity designs, from ideation to sign-off:
- Working with Leads to ensure the requirements, priorities, users’ needs and clients’ goals are clear and aligned
- Exploring design options that consider both the short- and long-term; creating a vision for the future, while also understanding how to break up work into manageable parts
- Leading feedback sessions with stakeholders and collaborators (both internal and external) and integrating feedback into your work
- Writing clear specifications for teammates in engineering and product
- Drafting and editing web copy to ensure the language used in the product is clear and understandable
You’ll need the ability to:
- Synthesize and visualize data, so that a story can easily understood by a wide audience, no matter how complicated the data might actually be
- Maintain and evolve a design system, so that you and engineers can work from similar toolboxes and so that designs are consistent across pages and brands
- Use Figma as your primary design software
- Make designs flexible between mobile and desktop screens
- Lead feedback sessions that are constructive, inspirational, and aptly-timed. While sharing your designs, you’ll need to clearly communicate your intentions, reasons and assumptions to a group that you've brought together.
- Thrive, be comfortable, and communicate effectively within an all-distributed team
No worries if these aren’t yet in your background. We have experts who can mentor you on:
- Accessibility: Creating products that work well for everyone, regardless of their background or abilities
- Public health: Serving the public with the combined goals of equity and well-being
This role is for individuals with:
- 5+ years of experience in each
- Product design
- Web applications
We’re looking for a designer who is:
- Proactive: You should have a good sense of timing; knowing when to communicate to collaborators in engineering and product
- Efficient: You should be able to keep your teammates unblocked without needing to overwork
- Delightful: We want you to enjoy your day with us. We’re looking for someone who will evolve with our company culture
Some traits that are important to our company culture more broadly are:
- Independent and self-motivated with an unrelenting focus on impact
- Fast moving with a strong bias for action
- Humble - we are collaborative and low-ego
- Transparent and focused on discovering the truth
- Sense of humor is always a plus
How do I apply?
This position is open until filled. Please send your resume, portfolio, and a note letting us know why you want to work with us and how you heard about the position. Tell us how you can bring value to the role, even if your experience is a little different than what we outlined. We want to learn more about you, and don't expect everyone to have every aspect of the job from the start. Email us your application to email@example.com.
What's your approach to remote work?
Act Now is hiring team members in all US/Canada time zones, and we're committed to growing a long-term distributed team. Over time, and as COVID becomes less of a concern, we may open hub offices in locations that have a critical mass of employees. We also have periodic off-sites which afford us the opportunity to gather the team in one place.
What's the interview process like?
It starts the same for every candidate: a brief project (e.g. coding or portfolio work) that lets you showcase your skills. Next you’ll have a few conversations with team members for you to get to know more about Act Now and for us to get to know you, your experiences and interests. Generally about six hours in total. We prioritize transparency and lack of surprise throughout the process.
What are the compensation and benefits like?
We will consider candidates at different experience levels. Compensation will be discussed early in the selection process and will depend on your profile and experience. Additionally we offer:
- A 4 days/week-work week, M-TH flexible
- Excellent health, dental, vision plans for you and your dependents (employer covers 80% of employee and 50% of dependents)
- Holiday Schedule of 16 days per year
- Unlimited PTO - we recommend 3 to 4 weeks, we trust you
- Remote work - anywhere in the US or Canada
Is Act Now an equal opportunity employer?
Act Now Coalition is proud to be an equal opportunity employer that does not tolerate discrimination or harassment of any kind. Our commitment to Diversity, Inclusion & Belonging drives our ability to build diverse teams and develop inclusive work environments. We are committed to equal employment opportunity without consideration of race, color, religion, ethnicity, citizenship, political activity or affiliation, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, sex or gender, or any other basis protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, or you have questions about how to apply, please reach out at firstname.lastname@example.org.