Senior Level Web Designer
Do you have solid design chops, great presentation/client skills, and a solid passion for UX? Do you love making websites that are beautiful AND user-friendly? Do you nerd out on just being creative? Then read on prospective Orbiteer, because WE WANT YOU!
Who We Are
Orbit is a Chicago-based web design and development company that builds focused and flexible websites designed to convert. We have a strong process and a strong work ethic, transparency to all facets of the business, and we also know how to have a good time.
We have 38 O’s, all in-house, split across our design, development, and project management teams. We’ve been around for over 17 years and are experts in our field. We are industry leaders with over 16,000 subscribers to our bi-weekly newsletter because we share so much of what we learn on our blog.
We build a ton of sites for great Chicago companies like Vienna Beef, Lou Malnati’s, and Metropolis Coffee. But we also have clients across the US, big and small, like Billie Jean King and Federalist Wines. We’re proud to be a B Corp for 5 years running. We love giving back to our local community by donating websites to Chicago Nonprofits through our Chicago Cause initiative.
What You’ll Be Doing
Our designers work directly with clients. They focus on creating results-driven, user-friendly websites that bring their brands to life online.
For this specific role, we’re seeking a candidate with very strong design, creativity, and presentation skills. We want you to impress our clients and push our team to the next level.
You’ll juggle multiple projects at once. On some, you’ll create conversion guides, user flows, and wireframes. On others, you’ll partner with a UX designer for these deliverables. On all projects, you’ll design mood boards and full-page designs at multiple responsive breakpoint sizes.
We put a strong focus on content strategy, conversion optimization, UX and usability through all phases. We work closely with our project teams, which include a project manager, a developer, and conversion copywriter at a minimum. Our designers utilize each other for inspiration, feedback, and refinement. This role will need to strongly contribute to those things.
It’s our design team’s responsibility to determine how every site will be used by its visitors, and it’s a challenge we love.
It’s also our job to partner with and educate our clients along the way ensuring they can use their sites to their fullest post-launch potential. Designers at Orbit aren’t focused on one niche of a website, they are the driving force behind each site.
Our Ideal Candidate
- Can lead all design related discussions to uncover functional requirements, brand guidelines, and audience personas
- Can confidently present and defend designs related deliverables to peers, clients, and executive level stakeholders
- Has strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Must have a great eye for design hierarchy, color, typography, and layout on the web
- Must have a portfolio with at least 5+ years of web/interface design experience
- Must have experience working in a team environment (design agency background is a strong plus)
- Has an excellent understanding of information architecture, usability, and responsive web design principles/limitations
- Has an excellent understanding of SEO, analytics, and content strategy
- Can execute and prioritize tasks on short deadlines
- Stays up-to-date with the latest web trends, techniques and technologies
- Is highly skilled in Sketch and Photoshop, with experience using Invision
Interested? Here’s What We Need
- Link to online portfolio (required)
- Start date availability
- Ability to work on-site in our Chicago office (sorry, no remote candidates for this highly collaborative/leadership role)
Posted about 2 months ago