Digital Communications Specialist
In collaboration with the Strategic Communications and Marketing team, the Digital Communications Specialist supports the mission of the university by creating and implementing integrated content for a wide range of university digital communication platforms, including university websites, blogs and social media channels designed to market SJSU to key audiences, promote the image of the institution to internal and external constituents and help increase philanthropic support and alumni engagement.
The incumbent will organize digital assets and publish digital content to maximize SJSU's exposure, promote SJSU's brand and achieve communication goals via the web; uphold SJSU's web and accessibility standards and serves as a member of the university's emergency communications team.
- Create and implement web content strategy that supports university branding and fundraising goals for key university digital properties, including the university homepage, top-level pages, websites for University Advancement and the president's office, blogs and emails.
- Develop compelling stories and messages that attract and engage a digital audience and follow SJSU's brand standards and communication style guidelines.
- Write original content, coordinate, edit and proofread written contributions from others and maintain quality, consistency and relevance.
- Manage all required content (text, video, images, etc.) and provide metadata, such as keywords and short descriptions, to accompany each piece of content.
- Develop, ideate and schedule social media content; manage a rich content calendar and social media guide; continually improve SJSU's engagement on social media and other online networks.
- Produce high quality, engaging and visually interesting still photos, video images/videography and live content for a variety of platforms.
- Manage communications in crisis situations, including coordination with the media relations team and leadership - with support from the Digital Director.
- Monitor relevant online conversations, represent the university in these conversations as appropriate and manage timely responses.
- Guide efforts of student assistants and campus employees in social media best practices that advance SJSU's strategic goals.
- Employ user testing and analytical techniques (based on data, including web traffic and user interactions) to guide content decisions and improve the usability of SJSU's web presence.
- Analyze and report on performance, trends and user engagement of various websites and social media channels and tools; gain insight and make necessary adjustments to put towards future communication strategies.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree, which includes relevant coursework in the field.
- Five years of related professional or technical experience.
- Experience developing and implementing strategic digital communications on websites and social media on behalf of a large organization.
- Experience with digital and social media marketing.
- Experience working within content management systems (CMS) to update, curate and manage digital content.
- Experience producing and editing photos, videos and live content.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Expert writing, editorial, interpersonal communication, active listening, analytical skills.
- Ability to effectively present ideas and concepts in presentation format.
- Comprehensive knowledge of web communications with the ability to develop and execute communications in evolving media to effectively promote and position the university.
- Expert in web content standards, blogging, email marketing, and social media marketing.
- Knowledge in content management systems to update, curate and manage digital content.
- Knowledge in social media platforms/tools, and an understanding of audience demographics and how they use these platforms to guide content and technology (e.g., Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube, Instagram, Facebook, Google, Reddit, Snapchat, Pinterest, Periscope, blogs, wikis, RSS, etc.).
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Knowledge in data and analytics to measure impact, create metrics reports and refine strategies (e.g., Google Analytics, Facebook Insights, Twitter Analytics, various social tools.)
- Ability to produce still photos, video images/videography and live content for a variety of communications. Skills and ability with photo and video editing software (online and native applications) is necessary.
- Ability to write and edit HTML and CSS.
- Knowledge in project management meet deadlines, follow-through on assignments, take direction, attend to and communicate about the details of any assignment and juggle multiple competing priorities. Demonstrate personal initiative and strong communication skills.
- Knowledge of web usability, accessibility, browser compatibility, design, prototyping and deploying mobile-friendly, responsive websites.
- Knowledge of all aspects of digital communications, including the technical aspects of various media.
- Knowledge of online and native creative applications, such as Photoshop and Premiere, and the encoding standards for optimal online delivery of multimedia content.
- Knowledge of digital trends, current affairs and issues in higher education with the ability to understand issues from a broad, strategic perspective.
- Excellent customer service and public relations skills.
- Ability to work in relevant applications; including but not limited to, browser tools, content management systems, source code editors, photography editing software, blogging platforms, social media management tools and email marketing tools.
- Ability to work with creative directors, designers, writers, editors, photographers and producers.
- Ability to work with web developers and programmers.
Required Application Material:
- Letter of interest
- List of References
- Complete SJSU Online Employment Application
- Email original work samples or link to samples (maximum of three with an explanation of your role and your process in its production) to Christina Olivas, email@example.com. Sample work may include web copy, content marketing, information architecture, social media posts, email campaigns/newsletters, photography, video or graphic design.