User Experience Designer
User Experience Designer
Office of University Communications
Brown University, Providence, Rhode Island
The User Experience Designer is an interface designer, UX expert and technologist who works in a collaborative team environment to create rich, engaging user experiences for Brown’s digital communication platforms, including the University’s flagship website, Brown.edu.
Reporting to the Director of Web & Digital Communication Strategy, the User Experience Designer is part of a web and digital team comprising digital strategists, web producers and other UX designers and front-end developers. The User Experience Designer is responsible for creating user interfaces and other visual designs for Brown’s websites and digital communication platforms and for assisting in the development of front-end code to power these designs.
The User Experience Designer will advise on interactions and animation, visual elements, colors, type treatment, photography and information architecture. The User Experience Designer is a digital expert who can solve complex design and communication challenges while serving as an advocate for the user. The User Experience Designer works collaboratively with the practice area lead for UX design and front-end development to ensure that Brown’s digital communication platforms are modern, functional and aligned with the strategic communication goals of the University.
The Designer also has strong interpersonal and organizational skills, demonstrates initiative, flexibility and a collaborative nature and can manage multiple projects and deadlines while maintaining high quality products and services. The User Experience Designer will be a conceptual thinker who not only creates digital solutions, but also is a collaborator who can explain the strategy and purpose behind these solutions.
A portfolio of UX design and/or a digital repository of development work is a prerequisite for the position.
· Bachelor’s degree in visual design or computer science and three to five years of professional experience (or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.)
· Demonstrated expertise in visual identity systems, UX design fundamentals and web standards.
· Knowledge of web accessibility standards, including WCAG and Section 508.
· Expert-level knowledge of digital design tools such as Sketch, InVision, Photoshop, etc.
· Experience working with open-source CMS platforms such as Drupal and/or WordPress. Knowledge of CMS theming engines (e.g. Twig) preferred.
· Experience with HTML and CSS required; experience with CSS preprocessors such as Sass is preferred.
· Experience with GitHub, BitBucket or other version control services is preferred.
· Ability to contribute ideas and execute the ideas of others competently; ability to work autonomously and on a team.
· Desire and willingness to acquire a comprehensive knowledge of an institution, its key stakeholders, audiences and partners, and to communicate in a professional manner to all levels of leadership across disciplines.
· Ability to manage multiple projects with competing deadlines while maintaining high quality.
· A portfolio of UX design and/or a digital repository of development work is a prerequisite for the position.
To View More Details and To Apply, please use this link to the position on Brown’s Career Site:
Applicants are required to use the Brown Career Site to apply for the position and to submit their resume, cover letter and any related documents. Please check the status of your application through the account you create when you apply.
All offers of employment are contingent upon consent to criminal background screening check and education verification with results satisfactory to Brown.
Brown University is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive academic global community; as an EEO/AA employer, Brown considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, gender, race, protected veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.
About Brown (Please visit our website and get to know us better at: www.brown.edu)
Located in historic Providence, Rhode Island and founded in 1764, Brown University is the seventh-oldest college in the United States. Brown is an independent, coeducational Ivy League institution comprising undergraduate and graduate programs, plus the Alpert Medical School, School of Public Health, School of Engineering, and the School of Professional Studies.
With its talented and motivated student body and accomplished faculty, Brown is a leading research university that maintains a particular commitment to exceptional undergraduate instruction. Brown’s vibrant, diverse campus community consists of about 4,500 staff and faculty, 6,200 undergraduates, 2,000 graduate students, 490 medical school students, more than 5,000 summer, visiting, and online students, and over 700 faculty members. Brown students come from all 50 states and more than 115 countries. Brown is frequently recognized for its global reach, many cultural events, numerous campus groups and activities, active community service programs, highly competitive athletics, and beautiful facilities located in a richly historic urban setting.
Brown offers competitive benefits such as a generous retirement plan and education programs; details are available at: http://www.brown.edu/about/administration/human-resources/
Posted 16 days ago