Every human-made product on earth traces its roots to chemistry – from food to pharma, from Q-tips to qubits: chemistry makes every innovation possible. Can’t wait for that foldable phone? Thank DuPont. Have a kid and rely on baby wipes? Thank Lonza. Love solar shingles that can power your home? Thank Dow Chemical.
Knowde is transforming the $5 trillion chemical industry starting with the creation of a rich marketplace where people can crush the product innovation life-cycle down from years to days. We’re doing this by connecting customers and producers early in the product development life-cycle where they can research, discover, collaborate, negotiate and purchase chemistries and products quickly and repeatedly with a level of information transparency never before seen in this industry.
Knowde is looking to add an immensely talented Art Director to our Marketing and Product teams who will help us create, design and deliver print, digital and experiential creative in support of our and our customers' brands and product. This is your chance to truly bring a fresh, inventive lifestyle sensibility to one of the oldest and largest industries on earth.
Our Art Director will help set the standard for dynamic industry-leading graphic design across multiple platforms - print, digital, experiential and environmental. This person will be a talented, experienced designer who balances hands-on creative work with mentoring and collaborating with the next generation of great design talent.
This talented team member will spend their days sketching, designing, comping and detailing glorious visuals for UX, ads and experiences that surprise and delight our customers. We want magic. Oohs and ahhs. Smiles and flutters.
- You have vision. You can see what others can’t. You see around corners. You dream is line, color, space, texture, type, composition, harmony. You think in contrast, balance, emphasis, movement, space, proportion, hierarchy, repetition, rhythm, pattern, unity, and variety.
- You are the brilliant talent who will make Knowde a recognized, award-winning B2B marketplace brand that is visually stunning, satisfying to use and immensely effective.
- You love design and have been designing for years.
- You may have wondered what the world would feel like if B2B and C2C design was as appealing and engaging as B2C lifestyle.
- You love to own big projects and aspire to share your knowledge and experience with larger teams as you grow in your role.
- You pay attention to detail but don’t sweat it when things change.
- You finish the work… dot those “I”s and cross those “T”s.
- You work fast and hard and then move on to the next project.
- You communicate often and don’t get defensive when asked to elucidate your design choices.
- You are guided by experience and intuition but still make design choices and understand the reasoning behind them.
- You are self-directed, self-motivated and thrive on collaborative independence where coming together to brainstorm feeds your focused work while detailing your design.
- You understand how design systems are built. You know when to follow and when to break established interaction patterns. You champion consistency, flexibility, and reuse. You embrace atomic design.
- Knowde is a well-funded start-up based in SF Bay areas but with work opportunities around the globe: Our core team is in San Jose and Seattle, but you can work from wherever it makes sense for you.
- At Knowde, everyone owns the product and the product is our passion.
- No one works 9-5. We’re a start-up.
- We think big, move fast and have strong opinions.
- We frame things up and expect you to fill in the blanks.
- We are open to great ideas and are willing to experiment.
- We believe in work flexibility and respect your need to work in your own space.
- Everyone executes and delivers.
- If you work with Knowde you will share in our success.
- We design in Figma, Adobe CC and any other platform that makes sense for the project.
- And paint, pen, pencil and paper…
- We stay organized in Google Drive, Jira, Confluence, Asana, Slack
SKILLS WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- Art Direction/Visual Design (color, line, type, shape, image, composition).
- Strong knowledge of user experience/user-centered design processes and methodology.
- A passion for creating products and services that resonate emotionally with people.
- Experience designing B2B application and/or familiarity with common B2B business processes.
- Ability to function as a project leader as well as an individual contributor.
- Updated on the latest techniques/trends/thinking within your field and ready to share your knowledge and thoughts with both colleagues and clients.
- Ability to work within distributed, multidisciplinary teams.
- Excellent communication and facilitation skills.
- Heavyweight brand and marketing design skills.
- Pro-active conception skills.
- Video experience a plus.
DAY IN THE LIFE
- Wake up! Do what you do.
- Work with Product team and Engineering teams daily to stay in synch, answer questions, brainstorm and provide direction.
- Depending on where we are at in the design cycles, you're iterating on an ongoing project, meeting with stakeholders to review and get feedback, spinning up a few new projects or various sizes and prepping final mechanicals for delivery.
- Co-design with business team, then flesh out and detail the designs solo and present the same or next day. Lots of iterations.
- Keep a lot of plates spinning without breaking any
- Have fun and take care of yourself.
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience, preferably in graphic design, fine art, industrial design, product design or another visual communications discipline.
Knowde does not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status.