Graphic Designer - Entry to Mid-Level
About George Washington’s Mount Vernon
Founded in 1858, the Mount Vernon Ladies' Association (MVLA) owns and maintains Mount Vernon, the home of George and Martha Washington. Through robust education and outreach programs, the Association expands awareness about the life of George Washington and the world he lived in and broadens each guest’s understanding of the Washingtons through research, interpretation, and public education. Today, Mount Vernon is one of the most visited homes in America, it includes the mansion, museum, research library, stunning gardens, a working farm, gristmill, distillery, retail shops, full-service restaurant, and more.
The Graphic Designer is responsible for producing print, digital, and interactive materials and assets. This includes execution and development of the George Washington’s Mount Vernon, MVLA, and Washington Library brands.
The Graphic Design department serves as an in-house agency for cross-departmental design initiatives. The Graphic Designer is responsible for helping the organization achieve its goals through design by establishing methods, processes, and staying on top of the latest print and digital techniques.
What You’ll Do:
- Design and deliver digital and print assets. Projects include, but are not limited to, advertising, campaigns, invitations, social media/email/website graphics, publications (magazine and annual report), product, fundraising materials, signage, educational materials, 5K/10M Patriot Run race creative, motion graphics, event materials.
- Assist with additional collateral assets as needed.
- Provide input and work with third-party agencies to ensure Mount Vernon’s brand guidelines are followed across external work.
- Create and maintain templates in the company brand template systems for staff internal and external communication usage.
- Work in close coordination with other departments and the Production Manager to anticipate needs and ensure production timelines are met.
- Maintain and advance Mount Vernon’s brand and visual identity style guide, ensuring that it is accessible to other departments and outside partners.
Candidate must have:
- Ability to translate business objectives into visual assets.
- A strong understanding of brand values and how to translate them into designs that are clear, engaging, and on-brand.
- Solid understanding of design principles and best practices across digital and print.
- Knowledge of typography, layout, hierarchy, branding.
- Aptitude for continuous learning to stay on top of new design trends and technologies.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to interface with many stakeholders.
- Ability to creatively think about and approach problems and assigned projects.
- 2-5 years of graphic design experience.
- A.A.S/ B.A./ B.S. degree in Graphic Design or a related field; or equivalent experience
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Cloud Suite and Microsoft Office.
- Knowledge of color theory, print and digital color palettes, and Pantone color matching.
- Must be able to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Overall knowledge of creative workflow, as well as print, packaging, retail and digital products.
- Familiarity with Asana, Tandem Vault, Lucid Press, and Tessitura is a plus.
- Interest or experience in museum exhibition designs is a plus.
- Interest or experience in photography or video production is a plus.
- Interest in American history is a plus.
Work at Mount Vernon
Expected starting salary range $50,000 to $55,000 per year, plus benefits. Salary is negotiable and commensurate with experience. Benefits include PTO, health and disability insurance, retirement plan match, and professional development allowance.
The work schedule is 40 hours a week, primarily on-site, Monday-Friday. The start and end times of the workday are semi-flexible but must be available between 9 a.m. - 4 p.m.
This position is a part of the Media & Communications department which includes, marketing, strategic partnerships, design, and public affairs.
To apply, please submit the following:
- Cover Letter
- Portfolio link