Senior Product Designer
Smarter Sorting is in an incredible position. The company has created the product needed to make the circular economy possible. We have landed giant customers, 3 of the largest retailers on the planet, and over 1,150 suppliers, including half of the top 10 consumer product manufacturers worldwide. We are, in fact, changing the world.
This is where you come in.
The Senior Product Designer is a critical new team member, essential to helping us achieve Smarter Sorting’s purpose in the market and with our own team. The person in this role will conceptualize new products and features that enable our customers to make the best decisions for their businesses and for the planet at the same time!. The right person is highly motivated by designing thoughtful and elegant solutions to complex problems. They have worked on B2B or enterprise products and care deeply about delivering value through their work.
Product Designers at Smarter Sorting are involved in every stage of the product development process. Working closely with product managers, engineers, and other designers to solve some of the messiest problems around consumer goods regulation, disposal, transportation, and more. We’re systems thinkers who obsess over creating products and features that are easy to understand, have measurable success, deliver value to our customers, and are—dare we say—delightful. We get excited over spreadsheets and beautiful data sets, as well as well conducted qualitative research, thoughtful user flows, and a meticulous UI design. Sound like you’ll fit in? We’d love to hear from you.
- Are passionate about design and the user experience
- Want to do good for the planet
- Can openly tell us about how you've learned from your mistakes
- Are known for your ability to ask tough questions
- Seek to understand before jumping to conclusions
- Enjoy rapidly iterating on ideas
- Have insatiable curiosity
- Are constantly learning about design, technology, your users, and the problems you’re solving
- 5+ years designing software products (hardware/software experience a plus)
- A portfolio highlighting a proven track record of shipped experiences that meet user needs, product requirements, and business objectives (we’ll be looking through the lenses of refined visual aesthetic, usability heuristics, process, and results)
- Strong UI and interaction design chops
- Experience working within and contributing to atomic design systems
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Have repeatedly executed a demonstrated process to understand, synthesize, and solve complex problems
- Experience across a range of design approaches and methodologies from journey mapping, to rapid prototyping, understanding when each tool should be used to bring the most insight/value
- Effective collaboration and presentation skills (both up, and down-stream)
- Experience planning, conducting, synthesizing, and reporting on remote and in-person usability research
- Proven “roll up your sleeves and get it done” reputation in previous endeavors.
- Strong working knowledge of Figma and other design tools
Nice to Haves
- Interest in sustainability
- Experience working with developers to implement and maintain a design system
- Deep understanding of chemistry, retail logistics, and/or CPG manufacturing (a little wonky we know, but hey, it never hurts to ask).
- Advanced prototyping and micro-interaction design through After Effects, Principle, Framer, Webflow, etc.
Your First Month
- Learn everything there is to know about our company, our data, and our product suite.
- Conduct usability audit of our current products.
- Contribute design support on our products.
Your First 3 Months
- Own bringing a concept from idea to deployment.
- Self-initiate usability research and present findings to key stakeholders.
- Work fluently within our design system, across different products.
Your First 6 Months
- Take point on product design for one of our key products.
- Work independently to guide products and features from concept to launch.
- Prioritize your time between conceptual work and supporting the product / dev teams accordingly.
Your Benefits & Perks
Competitive Compensation Packages
Medical, dental & vision insurance
Short-term disability insurance
Generous Parental Leave
Unlimited Paid Time Off
Continuing Education Sponsorship
Bi-Annual All-Hands, Volunteering & Special Events (with baby goats in attendance)
Unlimited snacks & drinks
You choose us not only because this is the role you’ve been waiting for but also because Smarter Sorting is a purpose-driven company committed to increasing sustainable options for unsellable or damaged products. Our cutting-edge machine learning technology enables cost effective, compliant decisions for all unsold products and advances our partners’ zero-waste goals.
We are a collective group of machine learning and sustainability experts, successful serial entrepreneurs, data scientists, and national account program managers. Our passion for data-driven sustainability points us toward a singular goal: to reduce waste through the salvation of unwanted items. Our goal is to take products, currently being incinerated or transported hundreds of miles, and use them for their original purpose in local communities.
At Smarter Sorting: We do what it takes. We are motivated to become experts. We are not jerks. We are real. We have grit. A healthy culture is key to our company’s success and more importantly our employees’ happiness. Our core values drive our culture and in turn, achieve our vision.
Better decisions. Better data. Greener planet. All made possible by the best people.
Come join our team!
At Smarter Sorting, we understand that a workforce that includes a robust mix of genders, ages, ethnicities, religions and socioeconomic backgrounds is more likely to reflect a variety of perspectives and thought patterns - leading to more innovation, brainstorming, problem-solving and strategizing. That is why we are committed to building a diverse and inclusive environment and strongly encourage candidates from historically underrepresented groups to apply.
For CCPA information, please click here.