User Experience Designer
In this position, you will work autonomously to focus on the research, design, and implementation of intuitive user experiences for custom built software applications across a range of impactful projects and technologies. This position will report to the Creative Design Lead for User Experience Design at the Center for Academic Innovation
Who We Are
About the Educational Technology Team
As a UX Designer at the Center for Academic Innovation, you will work directly on the Education Technology team. This team is made up of a diverse set of individuals, including other UX Designers, UX Researchers, QA Analysts, Software Developers, and Behavioral Scientists. We work collaboratively to apply our expertise in the creation and evolution of digital education tools and technologies to enable innovative learning practices and personalization at scale across the U-M community and beyond.
About the Center for Academic Innovation
The Center for Academic Innovation is where creativity, excellence, and the University of Michigan’s aspirations for societal impact combine to reimagine the future of higher education. Through curricular innovation, educational data and research, and educational technology, we position U-M as a global leader in academic innovation to create and inspire change in higher education and to reinforce an engaged and informed society.
Who You Are:
- You have a strong foundation in graphic design and are well-versed in typography, color theory, branding, layout, hierarchy, and illustration.
- You have experience developing a brand identity and working within an established set of guidelines.
- You’re proficient with Adobe Creative Cloud platforms and prototyping tools such as Sketch, Invision, etc.
- You are an intellectually curious, creative problem solver focused on design methodology who won’t compromise design standards in order to meet your solutions.
- You employ a pragmatic approach which appreciates the trade-off between a perfect solution and a working iterative solution
- You keep the user’s needs at top of mind.
- You analyze research findings to make design recommendations based on in-depth reviews, analysis, and expertise.
- You stay on top of design trends and best practices for the web.
- You’re have a base level understanding of front-end implementation (HTML, CSS, and JS) and / or the desire to learn and grow this skillset
- You’re passionate about creating inclusive, accessible tools for a diverse user population
- A cover letter attached as the first page of your resume which includes your salary requirements
- Design portfolio link included in resume
- BA or BFA plus experience in HCI, UX Design, Product Design, Graphic Design, Interaction Design, or related field, or an equivalent combination of education and relevant experience
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
Learning and working in environments designed for equity and inclusivity are necessary for the U-M community to make progress on solving the problems that matter most to society. In addition to collaborating with faculty and staff on projects that explicitly focus on DEI, the Center for Academic Innovation uses inclusive design processes in all of our work. All interested applicants, including those from groups historically underrepresented in higher education, are encouraged to apply.
Why Work at Michigan?
- 24 vacation days and 15 sick leave days a year with provisions for extended benefits
- Opportunities for professional development and travel
- TIAA-CREF and Fidelity Investments retirement options available
- For additional Benefits and Wellness details, see http://benefits.umich.edu/
This position may be underfilled at a lower classification depending on the qualifications of the selected candidate.
- The salary for this position will be based upon the selected candidate’s education and experience
- The responsibilities of this position may be fulfilled fully remotely, depending on the preference of the selected candidate
- This position must be based in the United States
- This is a 5 year term limited position with the possibility of renewal depending on funding
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
Decision Making Process
Applications will be reviewed as received throughout the posting period and continue until the position is filled
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
U-M COVID-19 Vaccination Policy
COVID-19 vaccinations are now required for all University of Michigan students, faculty and staff across all three campuses, including Michigan Medicine. This includes those working or learning remotely. More information on this policy is available on the Campus Blueprint website or the U-M Dearborn and U-M Flint websites.