Got a little frustrated with some other designs I was working on, and decided to celebrate Festivus a little early with some Airing of Grievances with Photoshop via a UI Exercise. I've had this one on the brain for a while, but just wanted to address some things I think could be made better with the Layer Style window in Photoshop.
Here's the changes I made:
• Manually re-organize layer styles. This alone prompted the redesign.
• Ability to turn all layer effects on/off in preview (replaces preview check box essentially).
• Added a Restart button to revert to all default styles.
• Opacity, Fill and Layer Blend Mode globally available (+ through key commands)
• Collapse window into 'mini mode' (for small screen/mobile design sanity)
• Some transparency to see through the panel (why not).
• Added 'Copy Layer Style' CTA.
• Apple + C, Apple + V w/ window open will copy layer style as it stands, paste style.
• Brought the Saved styles out more into a global gallery. Never explored what 'New Style' did before… (this might help)
• Easily Organize saved Layer styles by project/type. ('drag + drop' or option in "New Style" flow)
• Clearer view of active styles at a glance.
• Arrows cycle current effect blend modes.
What would you change?
I attached the PSD as well– so go nuts and rebbbound if you'd like. Add more, take away more– I'd be curious to see what other people thought. The PSD is 50% of the original to get it under the 10MB cap for attachments. For original size, adjust image size to 1600x1200 (all shapes, so it should hold up– and not sure about layer styles translating... held up proportionately in CS6)
Follow me for more... err, stuff.
over 1 year ago
Yes please. Reorganizing layer styles would be awesome. I'd love it if you could add more than one of the same type of effect. For instance two borders or multiple glows.
@Zaib Ali thanks!
@Steve Testone thats a phenomenal idea! I hate having to create another instance of a layer with zero fill to get the right effects on it. How the interface would work would be interesting... no default layer styles listed, just a '+ New Layer Effect' drop down? basically a small photoshop file with in a layer style?... hmm... I think I'd like that :)
@Jon Vlasach I think from a usability stand point I would probably leave all the default styles there for newer users and it makes it easier to quickly play around with effects. In your design I would just envision a little "+" icon next to the refresh icon that you have in the top blue styles bar.
Love the idea of being able to move the order around! Best feature of this hands down... why hasn't Adobe thought of this yet!?
@Anthony Fonte probably because Adobe is one of the most laziest companies? ;)
good idea dude! love the dispositiion of the menus.
I run into cases where I wished I could save only certain effects of the layer style instead of saving the whole set. For example, gradient and pattern style have saved sets, where I can apply any of them quickly. Why not having the option to save and see the gallery of saved options in each layer effect. That way I can try different style much faster.
your version seems more appealing than the original but i think the original is much easier to use. Thanks anyway
keyboard shortcuts: ← previous shot → next shot L or F like
Show and tell for designers
What are you working on? Dribbble is a community of designers sharing screenshots of their work, process, and projects.
Copyright © 2009–2014 Dribbble LLC. All screenshots © their respective owners. Shipped from Salem, Mass. USA.