Redrawing iOS icons for my own amusement in order to fix tiny details that bother me.
over 1 year ago
Finally a messages icon that reflects the iMessage dominance and tie in with OS X.
I'm in love with Messages icon, ooooh!
I'm not sure if I like this...it looks a little more 'cartoonish' than the current icons.
But if you like the look, Great job at accomplishing it!
This version of Message is 200% better than the original. Nice details and reflects better the iMessage experience.
yes! the settings-icon is great with those cogs! I hate the current icon with the sharp-pointed cogs... :/
just me or do the clouds in mail just look out of place?
Looks great! I just feel like the messages grey bubble is weirdly shaped with those dots in it
That Safari icon is so spot on, no more clutter around and behind needles.
Loving music and Safari, but Mail needs to go.
I'm all about that music icon. Far better and more fitting than the monstrosity Apple ships with.
Would definitely agree that the world map and serif font on the Safari icon is too much.
Dude. Is it me or do you work really fast! Seems like you always have something new.
I like that iMessages icon though. Nice!
Messages is just beautiful!
Really nice icons. For some reasons I think it would look weird to me that the Messages icon is not green because I always associate it with the Phone app as they are both "Phone" things.
Any reason why your envelope isn't vertically centered?
• You dramatically improved the music icon. The current one looks really bad, with an ugly noise pattern and a sharp flat-color glyph. Yours meshes much better with the current icon ecosystem while keeping the same color and idea intact.
• Your Messages icon, as mentioned, better reflects the focus on iMessage.
• Your Safari icon is much cleaner than the current.
• The texture of the settings icon background doesn't look very good, I would get rid of the bumps and just keep the holes. The extra texture is unnecessary and appears to the user as visual noise rather than added information.
• The Messages icon doesn't feel well-adapted to the format. This contradicts the notion that the Messages app is one of the most integrated and important parts of the phone, and shouldn't feel like an outsider.
• Your Safari icon bothers me. Apple's does too, but, still. Having the compass-marks in a circle so close to the edge of the frame makes this really weird negative space thing. In, say, the Trailers or Clock icons, the area outside of the circle feels like a border. Here, it feels like four separate, useless pieces. The orange of the needle is ugly. I appreciate that you improved the contrast around the center point, but overall the icon feel sort of washed-out and overly bright to me. Here's a quick edit to show my suggestions.
just wow ! a perfect style , I can't see just one problem !
@Raj Ramamurthy interesting, aligned with the default, so they're off too. Good catch.
@Guillaume Gaubert Messages ceased to be a "Phone" thing when iMessage became more common than SMS on my device.
@Ollin Thanks for the feedback. Can't say I agree on all your points, though.
@Louie Mantia I've never made an iOS icon myself, admittedly, so my judgement doesn't carry the same weight of experience as yours. If you have the time to explain your thoughts/objections to my critique, I'd love to learn.
@Ollin Regarding the texture on the background of the settings icon, I agree. I think it's looking too messy to be worth it.
I think the Messages icon fits right in, but having the majority shown here being the candy-colored tiles, I can see how it looks al little out of place. Messages is as important as most apps on the phone, but it honestly seems downplayed to me because it looks so similar to the Phone app.
The compass marks are really light, and on the phone, you barely notice them. I don't want to make them in a smaller circle, because I don't think you gain anything from it. Were it a hard circle, like Trailers and Clock, I wouldn't ever take it to the edge. The orange is tough! Orange against blue will always look too sharp because they're complimentary colors. They're furthest away from each other. I tried more red and more orange, but either way looks unfamiliar. I like your more saturated shaded bit on it though, I might try something between mine and yours. The shadow you have on the compass rose looks a bit much though, I like how mine is more subtle and picks up some blue from the background.
keyboard shortcuts: ← previous shot → next shot L or F like
Show and tell for designers
What are you working on? Dribbble is a community of designers sharing screenshots of their work, process, and projects.
Copyright © 2009–2013 Dribbble LLC. All screenshots © their respective owners. Shipped from Salem, Mass. USA.
Follow Dribbble on Twitter