Please check out the attached file!!!
Ok, this has been a lot of work, more or less 60 hours.
It's a 3d rebound of a background from Monkey Island 2 using 3ds Max + Vray. Just fanart!
Here you have the original background: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14834886/mon.png (from the Monkey Island 2 special edition).
Some of the steps I followed:
1. First, I put the original background in a viewport and I started to place some 3d primitives: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14834886/wip_01.png
2. Then, I carefully modeled all the elements trying to put them in the correct positions. Changing from 2d to 3d is not as easy as it sounds. Some of them have lot of details (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14834886/wip_03.png). I modeled almost everything until I arrived to this: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14834886/wip_7.jpg
3. Them I started my favourite part: ilummination. I used several things: a "Target Directional Light" with blue dark color, an omni light for the lamp, the vray global illumination and an HDRI map of a night photo. This was the first result: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14834886/wip_9.png
4. After that I started the texturing of all the elements. I created my own textures. Here you have some you can use for FREE (you don't neet to mention me and you can do whatever you want with them): http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14834886/metal_rusted.png, http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14834886/rock_01.png and http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14834886/wood_04.png I used "vraydisplacement_mod" in almost all surfaces. The water is a shader I mixed with a seaweed texture.
5. Finally I added more details: the background with stars (that is just an image in a 3d plane), some fog in the horizont (another image in a plane), the lamp glow and glowworms (once again an image in plane with alpha channel). I added some seaweeds, plants, etc, too.
6. The final result has no postproduction, only a blue tint. All the details were directly rendered. I'm specially proud of this :D
Hope you like it!
Feedback will be welcome!
about 1 year ago
OMG, that was certainly a bible to read!
Love the render, and so monkey island.
The colors have that ambiance light that the pictures of the video game have.
This is ridiculous... awesome work!
by Javier López
Look behind you, a three-headed monkey!
High resolution: http://dribbble.com/shots/562965-Monkey-Island-Tribute/attachments/42406
about 1 year ago
Very nicely done!
9 months ago
Wow. Thanks for the write-up! Love this!
keyboard shortcuts: ← previous shot → next shot L or F like
Show and tell for designers
What are you working on? Dribbble is a community of designers sharing screenshots of their work, process, and projects.
Copyright © 2009–2013 Dribbble LLC. All screenshots © their respective owners. Shipped from Salem, Mass. USA.
Follow Dribbble on Twitter